Monday, August 5, 2013

Bittersweet Goodbyes...

Natalie and I went to the market this morning for one last time. We bought a few extra things to take home and some market food of course. I had never been to Ceneda in town, an area where there is a castle still formed from the Medieval times so we went to check it out with Marco. Oh, by the way, we named our smart car Marco because he just fits in...and many things in this area are named after Marco Polo, like the Venice airport. He had a hard time getting up those windy and steep roads but we made it! The castle wasn't what we thought it was going to be but the view is perfect. I love seeing all the prosecco vines planted down the mountainside. A beautiful sight when they are all in bloom and lush right now. After running a few more errands, we went home to take a nap before we went to take the car back. We finally found the car rental place because we didn't remember for sure where it was. It is tucked behind many other buildings down a long road. When we got there, the doors were locked and no one was there but a young mechanic working in the shop nearby. I went to try and ask him if he could help us find someone for the office. He was very nice and said to wait 10 minutes and they might show up soon. Nat and I had to wait in the ridiculous hot temperatures for a good 30 minutes before the guy showed up to check our car in. He definitely took his sweet time even though we were in a hurry to get back home in time for dinner. Gianna and Angelo weren't able to take us to Treviso today so we were on our own to get home, either by bus, train, or taxi. First, we decided that there is a close bus stop and there might be a chance we could catch it to the bus station out of town. We waited and waited in the heat...no bus. We walked back to the car rental place and asked if he could call us a taxi to take us to the bus station...another 15 euro. Then, we made it just in time before the bus took off towards home with 3 minutes to spare. It was a little hectic but it all worked out in the end. We arrived just in time for dinner and Luca joined us as well. Gianna made a delicious dinner, obergene parmesan lasagna, cheche beans, pasta with ragu, and some sort of black rice with formaggio. Of course, we had prosecco to celebrate one last night and gelato. We had gifts for the family so after gelato, we went upstairs and brought them outside for everyone. Natalie bought the family a very nice striped ceramic pasta bowl from Bassano that they loved. I got the girls necklaces in Murano with an A for Anna and a G for Giulia made of glass. I found a nice ceramic coffee container for Gianna and a book for Angelo on his favorite moto racer, Valentino Rossi. The girls loved their necklaces and asked Gianna if they could sleep in them. They are too cute! Well, Nat and I tried our hardest to fit all our treasures into our suitcases tonight and it just isn't working...I have way too much stuff! We are going to have to repack it in the morning because it is 2 am right now and we have to be at the airport tomorrow at 12 in Venice. What a sad day it will be...I could stay here forever. I am definitely not ready to go back to reality but I am hoping I will get back into a routine at home, just like I have here now. I just can't imagine leaving here so I think it hasn't hit me yet...even if my room here looks bare and all packed up. Tomorrow will be a long flight but it will be nice to have Nat with me for company and support after my mental breakdown ensues. Goodbyes are the worst part about vacations...you just never want to leave. Arrivederci Italia, you have given me such a wonderful experience and have loaned me a new family for the summer. I am indebted to them forever for all they have let me do and see in just two months. Natalie and I have seen and done more in the last two weeks than I could have ever done by myself. What a ride it has been but I couldn't have asked for it to have gone better. I guess it shouldn't be goodbye, it is see you later because I have every intention of coming back here someday and showing my family and friends around Veneto. So let's plan another holiday in the future! Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment